Spring ventures out from hibernation this time of year. People come outside to walk dogs, attend sporting events, and compete in 5 or 10K races in the community. Spring is also when the home buying season kicks into high gear. Whether you are thinking about selling or buying your home this year, here are some spring maintenance tips for your spring-cleaning:
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned professionally. Move winter wood from the home, at least more than 2 feet, and if possible, store it at least 12-18 inches off of the ground.
- While you’re packing away winter boots, go through closets and donate unused coats and winter clothing.
- Inspect and repair loose gutters, making sure that gutters are clear from the fall and winter foliage and that water flows away from the foundation of your home.
- Check water hoses and outdoor faucets for signs of wear and tear or damage from the winter.
- Clean and repair window screens before the summer bugs hatch.
- Clean off decks, windows, doors, and other outdoor surfaces. Stain decks and paint peeled surfaces.
- Prune bushes and plants around your AC compressor.
- Check and open foundation vents. During the winter months, closing foundation vents keep your house dry and warm underneath. However, vents should be open during the summer months to prevent build-up of moisture.
- Inspect your roof for missing or broken shingles. Trim overgrowth or trees that hang over the house or porch.
- This time of year is always good to check batteries in your smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.
Follow this checklist of easy home maintenance repairs, and have your home ready to put on the market. Or, if you are buying a home, don’t forget to inspect these items to make sure your next home is ready for you to move in!
“Mortgage Lending is Our Business: Customer Service is Our Passion.”
Stay tuned and stay in touch with your mortgage professional. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Raleigh Mortgage Man, NC Mortgage Man, Triangle Mortgage Man, Triangle Mortgage Expert all owned and licensed by David M. Damaré. All rights reserved.
Tags: home improvement
, home inspection
, home maintenance
, home repair
, spring cleaning